Aug. 11, 2022 – The CDC as we speak introduced that as a result of there’s now much less danger of “medically important” COVID-19, some public well being measures the company advisable might not be crucial.
For instance, CDC suggestions on social distancing, quarantining, and testing youngsters for COVID-19 whereas permitting them to remain at school – often known as the test-to-stay technique – might not be crucial for many People. The company mentioned excessive ranges of immunity from vaccinations and prior infections, together with efficient remedies and instruments that stop unfold of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, prompted the motion.
However the company additionally mentioned individuals who know they’ve a excessive danger for extreme COVID-19 ought to proceed to apply a multi-layered strategy to holding themselves secure. Nicely-known methods embrace improved air flow, well-fitting masks, and testing as warranted.
The new CDC steerage was revealed as we speak within the company’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
The brand new suggestions emphasize the necessity to:
- Give attention to methods to cut back dangers for extreme COVID-19.
- Monitor neighborhood COVID ranges to information prevention efforts.
- Give immunocompromised folks higher entry to vaccinations and therapeutics.
- Proceed providing dependable info so folks at increased danger know their standing.
- Guarantee folks get examined in the event that they don’t have signs and isolate for five days or longer when contaminated.
“COVID-19 stays an ongoing public well being risk,” the CDC COVID-19 Emergency Response Group members mentioned within the new suggestions.
“Nonetheless, excessive ranges of vaccine- and infection-induced immunity and the supply of medical and nonpharmaceutical interventions have considerably decreased the chance for medically important sickness, hospitalization, and dying from COVID-19.”