Gratin Dauphinois is a conventional French casserole made with thinly sliced potatoes, cream and gruyere. It’s an extremely luxurious and indulgent potato bake aspect dish!
Positive to impress your dinner friends, this potatoes dauphinois recipe is straightforward sufficient for a weeknight however delightfully particular for the vacations.
Gratin Dauphinois are the creme de la creme of potatoes! These luxuriously creamy, tacky potatoes are the final word make forward potato aspect dish!
They’re simple, stunning and extremely scrumptious! It’s one of the best potato bake aspect dish to serve with filet, Pork Medallions, Steak, Salmon, Seared Scallops, Baked Rooster Breast, Turkey or Honey Glazed Ham. It’s certainly one of our favourite Facet Dishes for Steak.
This potato aspect dish is gradual baked to perfection, absorbing all of the decadent cream. You may bake them in a casserole dish and even make particular person Potato Gratin Stacks!
What’s Gratin Dauphinois?
First… a short clarification of what makes these potatoes so particular!
Additionally ceaselessly spelled Gratin Dauphinoise, this elegant tacky potato bake is known as after the Dauphiné area of France.
The mixture of thinly sliced potatoes is extraordinary when soaked with heavy cream and aromatic gruyere cheese. It’s baked because the potatoes soften into the melting cheese, making for an extremely comforting potato aspect dish served all through the world.
What’s the Distinction Between Au Gratin and Scalloped Potatoes?
Step apart scalloped potatoes! The distinction between Potatoes Dauphinois and scalloped potatoes is straightforward – scalloped potatoes is made with a roux (flour base) and au gratin is made with heavy cream giving them the creamiest, most indulgent taste!
Why You’ll Love these Potatoes Gratin
- Luxuriously Creamy
- Make Forward
Components and Substitutions
- Potatoes – Russet potatoes are one of the best to make use of for Peeled and sliced skinny. Russet or any type of “filth” potatoes work effectively for gratin dishes. Russet potatoes are tender and have extra starch yielding a creamier consistency for this luxe dish. They absorb all of the cream!
- Cheese – White cheddar, gruyere, Monterey jack, mozzarella work finest. I want utilizing a mixture of white cheddar and gruyere for one of the best texture and taste. They calmly brown for stunning shade, too!
- Milk and Heavy Cream – For an additional indulgent potato aspect dish, skip the milk and use all heavy cream.
- Salt and Pepper – Thick flakes of sea salt and floor black pepper add taste to this easy potato bake.
- Leeks – Leeks are within the onion, garlic, shallot household. Choose leeks which have as a lot white/gentle inexperienced stem as attainable. Take away roots and thinly slice stem.
- Jalapeño – To set this potato bake aside with only a contact of spice.
- Use Yukon gold or pink skinned potatoes when you want the potatoes to be just a little extra agency after baking.
- Don’t have leeks? Exchange with shallots or onions.
- Add just a little sauteed garlic to the cheese sauce for much more taste.
- Add (cooked and chopped) bacon, prosciutto or ham for an additional savory contact.
Tips on how to Make Gratin Dauphinois
- Prep – Preheat oven and grease baking dish.
- Make Sauce – Mix milk, cream, cheese, salt and pepper, jalapeño and leeks. Toss with potatoes.
- Bake – Unfold in baking dish. Bake lined.
- Use a mandoline when you can, it helps to slice the potatoes skinny and evenly, and it saves a lot time.
- Use my favourite baking spray for an ideal launch each time!
- I really like my Staub oval bakers for baked aspect dishes like this one, however you need to use any 9×13″ baking dish.
- The primary 45 minutes of baking is roofed, to steam the potatoes. The ultimate 15-20 minutes with out foil will assist them crisp up a bit on the prime!
- When cooked completely, your potatoes should not have any resistance as you narrow in to serve. Bake longer in the event that they aren’t fairly completed on the one hour mark!
- Slice potatoes
- Make sauce.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of sauce in an hermetic container. Toss the remainder of the sauce with the potatoes, masking tightly with plastic wrap to stop potatoes from browning and refrigerate.
- Add remaining sauce and bake simply earlier than serving.
- Shred your cheese forward of time to avoid wasting a final minute step! Merely shred and retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge as much as 24 hours upfront.
- Make this dish forward of time and freeze or refrigerate.
Steadily Requested Questions
Gratin dauphinois is a French dish of sliced potatoes baked in milk or cream in a gratin approach, of the Dauphiné area of France. The dish has so many fancy French names: pommes de terre dauphinoise, potatoes à la dauphinoise and gratin de pommes à la dauphinoise.
It immediately interprets to “lined with bread crumbs or grated cheese and browned”.
Tips on how to Retailer
- At Room Temperature – You may go away your Gratin Dauphinois out for as much as two hours whereas serving.
- Refrigerate – this potato bake could be packaged in an hermetic container and saved for as much as 5 days within the fridge.
- Freeze – You may freeze your potatoes dauphinoise earlier than or after baking. It’d change the creamy texture just a little however they may nonetheless be scrumptious!
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
Hungry for less difficult recipes? Join my free recipe membership and have wonderful recipes delivered on to your inbox every week!
Forestall your display from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9×13 baking dish.
In a saucepan over medium excessive warmth, add cream, half and half, salt and pepper. Deliver to a simmer. Take away from warmth.
In a big mixing bowl, mix cream, jalapeño, leeks and cheese. Whisk to mix. Stir in potatoes.
Switch to gratin dish. Cowl with foil and bake 45 minutes.
Take away foil and bake a further 15-20 minutes till barely brown.
- Use a mandoline to slice potatoes skinny and evenly and save time.
- Use baking spray to make sure the potatoes don’t stick.
- I really like my Staub oval bakers for baked aspect dishes like this one however you need to use any 9×13″ baking pan.
- When cooked completely, your potatoes should not have any resistance as you narrow in to serve. Bake longer in the event that they aren’t fairly completed on the one hour mark.
Energy: 373kcal (19%), Carbohydrates: 30g (10%), Protein: 13g (26%), Fats: 23g (35%), Saturated Fats: 14g (70%), Ldl cholesterol: 80mg (27%), Sodium: 569mg (24%), Potassium: 717mg (20%), Fiber: 2g (8%), Sugar: 1g (1%), Vitamin A: 876IU (18%), Vitamin C: 11mg (13%), Calcium: 311mg (31%), Iron: 2mg (11%)
Estimated vitamin info is offered as a courtesy and isn’t assured.